Read, enjoy and RESPOND. One of the things I can use in my life is accountability. You can help keep me honest, keep me thinking, keep me growing toward the person God intends me to be.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Blue Sky Miracle

So, it was maybe not the smartest thing I ever decided to do. We were in the beginning stages of the latest "mother of all storms" in this winter of 2010 and I NEEDED to get up the mountain to Thomas so I could deliver my art to Mountain Made for the scheduled show during the month of March. It seemed like the best day to go of the next few...and it turns out I was right, but it was still maybe not the smartest thing I ever decided to do.
So, I talked my friend, Stevie, in to going with me. We packed it all up and both drove up to Terra Alta. She is used to that drive and not too worried. Before we even got to Terra Alta or Evan's Curve (aka Whiteout World) I called her and said, "I don't think I can do this." The car was being jerked all around by the snow/slush on the road. There was nothing to do but keep on going, because there was nowhere to turn around. I started praying. I know...but, better late than never. When we went through Evan's Curve it was clear and beautiful. Amen.
So, we determined to continue on up into snowier country. But Stevie decided she should drive...OK by me! The trip up was uneventful and beautiful again. We did the delivery and started back so we wouldn't have to drive after dark. Because Stevie is such a great friend (and she had to get some hamburger for her famous meatloaf) she suggested that she lead me through Evan's Curve on my way back down the mountain. Yes! I accepted.
So, I started praying a little bit sooner this time. There was a bit of a white out this time, but I was able to keep her in sight most of the time. As she pulled off to turn around and go back through again we waved and I up sized my praying...I was on my own. Well, that part turned out to not be true at all.
This next bit is the best part.
I had not gone far enough for her to even be out of my rear view mirror when the snow pretty much stopped and the sky cleared over me. I mean blue sky! And just a small piece of the sky. The piece over me. I just started smiling, really BIG smiling, and saying, "Thank you, Lord". The blue sky followed me all the way down the mountain and home. And I wasn't home more than 15 minutes until the sky had clouded back up and it was snowing again!
Amazing, huh? Well, our God is amazing! It was kind of like the opening of the path in the Red Sea.
As an aside, I find it interesting that for years in my youth, I would have thought nothing of making this trip...on my own..no friend, no God. As I have grown older God has shown me how to lean into him and friends he puts in my life. It is a much nicer place to be. Amen. Amen. Amen.

No comments: